Sunday, May 29, 2011

my spin on Kenyan/Indian, and cooking Ugali





There are a million different kinds of "masala" spice here in Kenya. Tea masala, chicken masala, fish masala, pilau masala..you name it. I personally am not quite sure what the difference is between all of them, but apparently there is a need for every type you can imagine. Anyways, I made this lentil dish with Pilau masala- which I believe is a spice mixture of cumin seeds, black pepper, cinnamon, cardamom and cloves. I'm not going to write a recipe because there wasn't much to it- I used mixed dal (lentils) so there was some variation- brown, green, yellow...cooked until soft with pilau masala, onions, garlic, peppers and zucchini..on top of some plain brown rice, and with a few toasted papadoms (if you have never used them- go to an Indian food market and buy some. They are awesome crispy thin spicy lentil crackers).

The other photo is me cooking Ugali for school children. It's ground Maize flour- which is corn, but not like we know corn..it's not sweet and yellow but is pale and..well quite flavourless. Ugali is cooked with water over hot coals and you just stir the crap out of it until its kind of a tough blob. Then they cut some off and serve with whatever..usually sukooma (kind of like kale), some kind of meat sauce( on special occasions), or beans. I'm not a super huge fan but hey, it does the job.

No comments:

Post a Comment