Saturday, May 28, 2011

Why I Love Summer: Farmer's Market 1.0





One of my favourite things about living downtown is the Saturday Farmer's Market and the cheap organic local fresh produce and goodies I can purchase there. Plus I always see people that I know and get to catch-up with friends in the neighbourhood.

So this saturday with my fridge containing only perogies, garlic sausage, broccoli and beer it was time to go on a market foray. Here are some of the great selection.

Friesen Farms - fresh spinach and carrots (and lots of other organic goodies... almost got rubarb, but ran low on cash)
The Pepper Barn - As many peppers as you can fit into their bags for $4.00 an outrageous deal... I got 3 each of red, yellow and orange (no horrible unripe green ones)
Gesundheit Bakery - genuine bavarian apple strudel ($2.80 is not too expensive for this delight) and a lovely loaf of fresh baked rustic italian bread for only $2.50. (their spelt and rye.... are worth a try)
Gelderman Farms - Organic Pork Farmer Sausage (mmmmmm)

I also recommend the following:

The Mushroom Stall: Container of oyster or shiitake $3.00 or 2 portobello for $4.00 (this is a good deal)
Fraser Valley Honey: I advocate for the wild flower or backberry! Slightly pricey but will blow your mind.
Free Run eggs are also available from a lady who sells flowers.


Following a few conversations with the Braun-Kauffman's, some Stewarts and a few other notables I meandered up the road to Formaggio for the following additions to my lunch.

Picholine Olives (the best.... seriously) 100 g
Gureyer cheese (its got zip so you dont need miracle whip) 150g

and arguably the best macchiato in town while I waited. $2.50

So now that you are all jealous you should give it a try!

Sorry Victoria, but I know you will appreciate this post even though you can't access it's contents :(

Ps. Also in the photos is me being really excited about the morning and a quick and simple soup.


Chick Nude with Broc! (only takes 5-6 mins.) serves 2-3-4.

4 1/2 cups water in a pot
Add half a head of broccoli chopped smallish

Bring water to a boil

Add package of noodle soup mix (lipton or something better)
Add a few sprigs of parsley
Add a dash of Italian Tri-Force (oregano, thyme, rosemary)
Cracked black pepper

Simmer down for four! and eat.




No comments:

Post a Comment